"Remember Women Workers, Cheer Up Women Workers!"
National Women's Rally organized by FKTU on IWD
The Federation of Korean Trade Unions (FKTU) organized a National Women's Rally under the slogan of "Remember women workers, cheer up women workers!" in celebration of the 107th International Women's Day in downtown Seoul on 7 March 2015.
Mr. KIM Dong-man, President of the FKTU, pointed out that the government' measures on work-family balance are useless in that they attempt to expand unstable part-time jobs without eliminating gender-based discrimination.
He also stressed, "The FKTU has been paying sharp attention to the feminization of precarious labor. We will step up our efforts to alleviate gender pay gaps and discriminatory employment practices and promote work-life balance and men's participation in childcare.
The Korean Financial Industry Union was awarded a "Equality Prize" for its contribution to the improvement of precarious workers and 17 women workers were honored to receive achievement awards for their commitment to promoting gender equality.
The rally concluded with the adoption of the resolution urging the government:
● to immediately stop the plan to expand precarious part-time jobs;
● to change the status of precarious workers in public sector to regular workers and stop recruiting indirect employment;
● to come up with measures to alleviate gender pay gaps;
● to expand national or public childcare facilities to 30 percent and improve working conditions for nursing teachers;
● to implement more effective measures for work/family balance;
● to eliminate long working-hour practices and encourage men to share childcare responsibilities